Corrugator Steam Systems
Kadant Johnson's extensive research into condensate behavior and heat transfer in rotating rolls and corrugator hot plates has been combined with an intimate knowledge of steam joints, syphons, and the integration of these components with the steam system to provide corrugated packaging plants with a holistic steam distribution and handling system; one that maximizes heat transfer, creates roll temperature uniformity, and provides diagnostic capabilities.
A corrugator steam system has two basic functions: (1) to distribute steam efficiently to each steam-heated component of the corrugator, and (2) to remove condensate rapidly so it does not inhibit the heat transfer capability of the system.
More specifically, a proper steam system:
- Delivers dry steam at the desired pressure to every vessel.
- Continuously removes condensate as it forms.
- Delivers low-pressure wet shower steam to precondition the medium.
- Provides a means to purge non-condensable gases (primarily air) from the system during startup.
- Automatically handles large heat load variations ranging from the corrugator stopped to the corrugator producing heavy weight double- or triple-wall at high speed.
- Accomplishes these functions reliably with minimum maintenance requirements.
|How each system measures up:||ThermoTrap™Steam System||ThermoPlus™Steam System||ThermoMax®Steam System|
|Optimal speed range (fpm)||150-900||150-1200||150-2500|
|Number of hot plate zones||Three||Three||Four|
|High energy efficiency|
|Rapid condensate return at start-up|
|High speed capability with Turbulator®bars|
|Consistent roll temperatures at higher speeds|
|Uniform cross direction roll temperature|
|PLC control with graphic user interface|
|Improved visibility of system operation|
|Increased feedwater pump life|
|Supervisory control of blow-through steam|
|Reduction of roll bowing following stop|
|Maximum heat transfer|
|Fast response to grade changes|
|Ability to handle wide range of load variation|
|Optimum condensate drainage from plain-shell rolls|
|Rapid hotplate temperature response|
|Reduced feedwater pump horsepower|
|Minimum maintenance requirements|
|Reduced troubleshooting time|
|Rapid air removal at start-up|
|Remote performance diagnostics|